With their dark, seed-studded centers surrounded by a ring of bright yellow petals, sunflowers spread cheerful goodwill as they follow the sun across the sky. These are the best sunflower quotes to caption your photos and Instagram posts when you encounter fields of these tall golden blooms.
What Makes Sunflowers Special?
Native to North America, sunflowers are one of the most recognizable flowers in the world. With its sturdy stalk, the massive sunflower can grow to over six feet tall. And sunflower blossoms follow the sun throughout the day, turning their golden heads to drink in the sunshine.
But beyond their unique beauty, sunflowers also help clean up environmental disasters. Fields of sunflowers have successfully removed toxins like lead, arsenic, and uranium from contaminated soil in places like Chernobyl, Ukraine, and Fukushima, Japan.
Motivational Sunflower Quotes
“Sunflowers end up facing the sun, but they go through a lot of dirt to find their way there.”
– J.R. Rim
“Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun.”
– Kahlil Gibran
“Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. It’s what sunflowers do.”
– Helen Keller
“Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.”
– Old French Proverb
“I want to be like a sunflower so that even on the darkest days I will stand tall and find the sunlight.”
“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.”
– Robert Louis Stevensen
“If I were a flower … I would be a sunflower. To always follow the sun, turn my back to darkness, stand proud, tall, and straight even with my head full of seeds.”
– Pam Stewart
“Despite knowing they won’t be here for long, they still choose to live their brightest lives — sunflowers.”
– Rupi Kaur
“Which way will the sunflower turn surrounded by millions of suns?”
– Allen Ginsberg
“Don’t let the tall weeds cast a shadow on the beautiful flowers in your garden.”
– Steve Maraboli
Inspirational Sunflower Quotes
“Who knows what may lie around the next corner? There may be a window somewhere ahead. It may look out on a field of sunflowers.”
– Joe Hill
“A sunflower for my sunflower. To brighten the dark October days you hate so much. Plant some more, and be safe in the knowledge a warm and bright summer awaits.”
– Cecelia Ahern
“I plant sunflowers and get back daily joy.”
– Nadine Locke
“A flower needs sunlight to grow and develop. Learning is like sunshine to us, helping us grow and develop.”
– Catherine Pulsifer
“I believe there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. We can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy.”
– Jostein Gaarder
“Always look at the brighter side of life, just like the sunflower, which looks upon the sun, not the dark clouds.”
“Bring me the sunflower crazed with the love of light.”
– Eugenio Montale
“Hidden inside every flower are seeds of imagination, destiny, and future dreams.”
– Sondra Faye
“Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.”
– Anthony J. D’Angelo
“The morning glories and the sunflowers turn naturally toward the light, but we have to be taught, it seems.”
– Richard Rohr
“Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.”
– James Matthew Barrie
“Make it like a sunflower.”
– Steve Jobs
“If roses tried to be sunflowers, they would lose their beauty; and if sunflowers tried to be roses, they would lose their strength.”
– Matshona Dhliwayo
“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”
– Frances Hodgson Burnett
“Flowers don’t worry about how they’re going to bloom. They just open up and turn toward the light and that makes them beautiful.”
– Jim Carrey
“I don’t think there’s anything on this planet that more trumpets life than the sunflower. For me that’s because of the reason behind its name. Not because it looks like the sun but because it follows the sun.”
– Helen Mirren
Hippie Sunflower Quotes
“Sunflowers are like people to me.”
– Joan Mitchell
“Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men and animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock.”
– Henry Ward Beecher
“The road to freedom is bordered with sunflowers.”
– Martin Firrell
“What god does a sunflower believe in? That’s the god I believe in.”
– Marty Rubin
“Someone was sitting in front of a sunflower, watching the sunflower, a cup of sun, and so I tried it too. It was wonderful; I felt the whole universe in the sunflower. That was my experience. Sunflower meditation. A wonderful confidence appeared. You can see the whole universe in a flower. “
– Shunryu Suzuki
“Every flower is a soul blossoming in nature.”
– Gerard de Nerval
“Tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.”
– The Beatles, “I’ll Follow the Sun”
“Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair”
– Susan Polis Schutz
Thought-Provoking Sunflower Quotes
“The sunflower is a favorite emblem of constancy.”
– Thomas Bulfinch
“The head of all flower heads is one flower; the sunflower in the sky, that gives the others vivid color stemming from the inside.”
– Curtis Tyrone Jones
“Never look directly at the sun, instead look at the sunflower.”
– Vera Nazarian
“I can’t feel bad about being who I am, just like the girl next to me can’t feel bad about being who she is. Because a rose can never be a sunflower, and a sunflower can never be a rose.”
– Miranda Kerr
“The sunflower is a favorite emblem of constancy.”
– Thomas Bulfinch
“Big doesn’t necessarily mean better. Sunflowers aren’t better than violets.”
– Edna Ferber
“Fame is the scentless sunflower, with gaudy crown of gold; But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.”
– Oliver Wendell Holmes
“Pick up a sunflower and count the florets running into its centre, or count the spiral scales of a pine cone or a pineapple, running from its bottom up its sides to the top, and you will find an extraordinary truth: recurring numbers, ratios and proportions.”
– Charles Jencks
“I chose a sunflower because when darkness descends they close up to regenerate. But I really wish I’d never had the tattoo in the first place. Clean, clear skin is always better.”
– Halle Berry
“A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and a man cannot live without love.”
– Max Muller
Beautiful Sunflower Quotes
“True friends are like bright sunflowers that never fade away, even over distance and time.”
– Marie Williams Johnstone
“And the yellow sunflower by the brook, in autumn beauty stood.”
– William Cullen Bryant
“My work is the world. Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird — equal seekers of sweetness.”
– Mary Oliver
“A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns.”
– Corina Abdulahm-Negura
“Does she realize she looks like a sunflower, ready to rain sunlight on all who look down upon her?”
– Simone Elkeles
“Her smile put the sunflower to shame.”
– Jerry Spinelli
“And here the sunflower of the spring burns bright in the morning’s beam.”
– Ebenezer Elliott
“We’re all golden sunflowers inside.”
– Allen Ginsberg
“Smile to the world and smile to the people you love, as a sunflower smiles at the sun.”
– Remez Sasson
“A sunflower teaches us so much about love.”
– Samrah Ahmad
“You look beautiful as a sunflower and charming as a rose.”
– Avijeet Das
“Ah sunflower, weary of time
Who countest the steps of the sun
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the travellers journey is done”
– Ah! Sunflower, a sunflower poem by William Blake
“Every friend is to the other a sun, and a sunflower also. He attracts and follows.”
– Jean Paul Richter
“Then one by one they raised their faces to the sky. Like a field of sunflowers.”
– Fiona Valpy
“Yellow is my favourite summer colour – it makes me feel like a sunflower.”
– Bria Vinaite
“A long time ago in a kingdom by the sea there lived a princess as tall and bright as a sunflower.”
– Jeanne Desy, The Princess Who Stood on Her Own Two Feet
“Which makes it ironic my favorite flower isn’t even indigenous to the British Isles, let alone Yorkshire. I don’t think there’s anything on this planet that more trumpets life than the sunflower.”
– Tim Firth
“Look at the sunny side of everything.”
– Christian D. Larsen
“My will broke at the sound of his voice, and my head turned with as much inevitability as a sunflower turning its face to the sun.”
– Patricia Briggs
“The earth laughs in flowers.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Vincent van Gogh Quotes About Sunflowers
“I am working with the enthusiasm of a man from Marseilles eating bouillabaisse, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to you because I am busy painting huge sunflowers.”
– Vincent van Gogh
“You know that Jeannin has the peony, Quost has the hollyhock, but I have the sunflower, in a way.”
– Vincent van Gogh
“The sunflower is mine, in a way.”
– Vincent van Gogh
“When van Gogh paints sunflowers, he reveals or achieves, the vivid relation between himself, as man, and the sunflower, as sunflower, at that quick moment of time.
– D. H. Lawrence
Short Sunflower Quotes for Instagram
- A satellite dish for sunshine
- A sea of golden blooms
- A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns.
- A sunflower field is my favorite kind of field.
- A sunflower is the happiest flower.
- All you need is love and sunflowers.
- Always stop and smell the sunflowers.
- Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun.
- Be the light, love, and bright spot whenever you can.
- Beautiful kisses from a bright flower
- Because if this beautiful sunflower can survive winter, so can I
- Breathing in sunshine on a warm summer day
- Brighten the world as a sunflower brightens a field.
- Butterflies grow better with sunflowers.
- Chasing sunflowers is my therapy.
- Choose to let your light shine bright.
- Embracing my inner flower child.
- Enjoying dawn with sunflowers
- Enjoying the moment
- Every flower blooms at a different pace.
- Every good day deserves a sunflower!
- Fresh breeze, warm sun, and a field of golden flowers
- Following the sun
- Happiness is a field of sunflowers in bloom.
- Happy as a sunflower
- Honey bees and sunflowers, please!
- I have a sunflower soul.
- I love the way you cheer me up.
- If I were a flower, I would be a sunflower.
- If you need me, I’ll be wandering in the sunflower fields.
- I’m a sunflower at heart.
- I’m feeling radiant today.
- I’m gonna soak up the sun until I burst.
- I’m just here for the sunflowers.
- In a world full of roses, be a sunflower.
- I woke up feeling like sunflowers.
- It’s the little things in life.
- I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day.
- Just a girl who loves sunflowers
- Just a wildflower in love with the sun
- Let a hundred flowers bloom.
- Let me be your sunflower.
- Let’s get flowery.
- Let’s get lost in a field of sunflowers.
- Like a single sunbeam on a warm summer day, there is an exuberance and brilliance in a sunflower.
- Like a sunflower, live by the sun.
- Live to make people smile, sunflower.
- Look a tall sunflower in the face, and it smiles back with seeds.
- Look around, the sun is smiling.
- Look at the sunny side of the field.
- Make your life more colorful by spreading the sunshine.
- My favorite summer color is sunflower.
- Nature’s sundial
- Never let a good sunflower field go to waste.
- Never let anyone dull your sparkle.
- Never look directly at the sun. Instead, look at the sunflower.
- No better way to spend a sunny day than walking through a field of sunflowers.
- No matter the weather, I choose to look for the light.
- No rain, no sunflowers.
- Nothing like a day in a flower field.
- Oh, sunflower, you look so fine!
- Peace, love, sunshine, and sunflowers!
- Perfect beauty
- Rich like a sunflower field
- Roses are red, violets are blue, and sunflowers brighten your day!
- Shine bright like a sunflower.
- So many sunflowers, so little time
- Some flowers fade into the background while sunflowers stand out.
- Spread joy like sunflowers.
- Spread seeds of happiness.
- Spreading positive sunflower vibes wherever I go
- Stand tall and face the sun.
- Such happy flowers!
- Summer is blooming.
- Sun, please shine soon.
- Sunflower child
- Sunflower fields and summer vibes
- Sunflower is my favorite color.
- Sunflower kiss
- Sunflower season starts now.
- Sunflower vibes are my favorite.
- Sunflowers always remind me of you.
- Sunflowers and you – two of my favorite things!
- Sunflowers are always smiling.
- Sunflowers are Earth’s smile.
- Sunflowers are my weakness!
- Sunflowers are the sun without the heat.
- Sunflowers are true happiness.
- Sunflowers brighten your soul.
- Sunflowers have stood the test of time.
- Sunflowers make me happy.
- Sunflowers never get tired of basking in the summer sun.
- Sunflowers never lie.
- Sunflowers symbolize friendship and other good things.
- Sunflowers, the sunniest flowers
- Sunny with a chance of flowers
- The brightness of sunshine
- The color of sunlight
- The sun is my inspiration.
- The sun shines a little brighter in this field.
- The yellow sun in shining.
- There is always that one sunflower that stands out from the crowd.
- There is no place like a field of sunflowers.
- There is nothing to be sad about in a sunflower field.
- There is sunshine in my soul.
- There’s a little bit of sunflower in each one of us.
- Watching the sunrise; sunflowers in full bloom
- We’re sunflowers waiting for the sunshine.
- What a lonely place it would be to have a world without a sunflower.
- Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.
- Who doesn’t love sunflowers?
- Wild like a flower, warm like the sun
- Yellow blooms as far as the eye can see
- Yellow streaks of sun
- You are gold, baby. Solid gold.
- You are golden.
- You are like a ray of sunshine.
- You are my sunflower, baby!
- You are my sunshine.
- You are so beautiful to me.
- You are the summer to my sunflower.
- You are the sun in my day.
- You are the sunshine to my flower.
- You make me think of the sunny days.
What’s Your Favorite Sunflower Quote?
Is there a quote about sunflowers missing from this list? What sunflower quote do you love most? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Ready to Go?
Use These Helpful Links to Book Your Trip!
- Find low fares with airfarewatchdog and Skyscanner
- Book your plane ticket with Expedia or Kayak
- Or take the scenic route on an epic road trip in a rental car or an RV from Outdoorsy
- From hotels to private homes, find the perfect accommodation with Hotels.com or Vrbo
- Travel in style with a suitcase, carry-on, backpack, or handbag from eBags
- Save on tickets to attractions, sightseeing tours, and more with CityPASS, Tiqets, and Viator
- Don’t leave home without travel insurance from AXA
- Discover the sights, history, and culture of your destination with an interactive scavenger hunt
- Need something else to plan your perfect trip? Visit my travel resources page for more trusted partners. Happy wandering!